Samuel Davies (1723 – 61) Gospel Message for His funeral
“Every living thing that moved on the earth perished–birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind!” Genesis7:21
“Then the Lord rained down fire and burning sulfur from the sky on Sodom and Gomorrah. He utterly destroyed them, along with the other cities and villages of the plain–wiping out all the people and every bit of vegetation!” Genesis 19:24-25
“God did not spare angels when they sinned–but sent them to Hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment!” 2 Peter 2:4
Contemplating the doctrine of Hell, will give a check to many sins of the ungodly.
The destruction of the old world in the universal deluge,
the raining down of fire and burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah,
the damnation of the rebellious angels–
are all examples to the ungodly, to take heed of sinning.
There is nothing in the world which will more check the thoughts of lust–than thoughts of the fire of Hell. If you burn in your lusts on earth–then you will burn in fire in Hell.
Contemplating the doctrine of Hell, will give a check to the sin of gluttony. For the more you pamper your flesh, if you are wicked–you make yourselves but sweeter morsels both for worms and devils! Take heed of gluttony and pampering your flesh!
Contemplating the doctrine of Hell, will give a check to the sin of pride. Paul bids Timothy to take heed of pride–lest he fall into the condemnation of the devils. That is, lest Timothy fall into the sin for which the devils were damned. The devils were cast into chains of darkness only for the sin of pride–therefore take heed of pride! It may bring you to Hell–as well as the devils! Pride cast them into Hell–so it may do to you!
He preached his own funeral sermon!
Samuel Davies (8 minutes)
- The Gospel – Timeless Thoughts & Helps
- The Gospel – or not the Gospel?!?
- The Gospel (1) – Ecumenical vs. Evangelical
- The Gospel (2) – Idolatry, Demons & Ecumenism
- The Gospel (3) – Unequally Yoked
- The Gospel (4) – The Radical Difference between Believers and Unbelievers
- The Gospel (5) – Do we have forgotten that the way is narrow?
- The Gospel (6) – Samuel Davies – He preached his own funeral sermon
- The Gospel (7) – John Bunyan – The infernal Dungeon of Hell
- The Gospel (8) – The Great Exchange
- The Gospel (9) – The Heart of the Gospel explained in two Minutes (by John MacArthur)
- The Gospel (10) – Jesus, the Son of God, IS the Gospel – even for Muslim
- The Gospel (11) – The Parable of the Sower and bad Evangelism
- The Gospel (12) – The Non-Negotiable Gospel
- The Gospel (13) – Can Truth survive in a postmodern Society?