“TOLERANT” CALIFORNIA WILL NOT TOLERATE CHRISTIAN COLLEGES
Photo: © http://www.breakpoint.org
Once a society starts stripping its citizens of their essential freedoms, including religious liberty, it cannot long survive as a free society.
„America, we are warned, is on the verge of adopting a new state religion, and that state religion with the focal point being the state of California is a new form of liberal secularism. This “incipient state religion,” warns Joel Kotkin, is particularly and threateningly represented by a specific piece of legislation, now pending in the California General Assembly. Known as Senate Bill 1146, this particular bill, if adopted, would virtually eliminate the possibility of Christian higher education in that state“ (Al Mohler, http://www.albertmohler.com/2016/06/30/briefing-06-30-16/)
‚There is a bill in the California assembly numbered SB1146. It could potentially be very bad for California Christian Colleges and Universities. The advocates of the bill claim it as a non-discrimination policy, but it disallows religious institutions to uphold their beliefs. In this way it is in fact discriminatory. It says that religious requirements must be approved by the state. It could be a problem for a college enforcing their moral beliefs stemming from the religion. For example they wouldn’t be able to talk against homosexual marriage or abortion. This section in particular is biggest issue:
Nothing in this section shall be construed to permit discrimination on the basis of disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic that is contained in the definition of hate crimes set forth in Section 422.55 of the Penal Code, including the perception that the person has any of those characteristics or that the person is associated with a person who has, or is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.
As you can see, by the wording it claims to not be discriminatory. That couldn’t be further from the truth. By not allowing religious institutions’ freedom of conscious, it discriminates against their ability to enforce principles in accordance with their beliefs.‘ (SlimJim)
The whole text and history of the bill can be found here for reference and context.
Here is what several institutions in California and concerned bloggers all over the US are saying and how it may affect them:
- The Federalist: California Bill Would Ultimately Erase Religious Schools: http://thefederalist.com/2016/06/21/california-bill-would-ultimately-erase-religious-schools/
- Concordia University Irvine: http://www.cui.edu/aboutcui/sb1146
- Biola: http://now.biola.edu/news/article/2016/jun/08/preserve-faith-based-higher-education/
- Western Baptist University: http://www.opposesb1146.com/
- Al Mohler – The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary: http://www.albertmohler.com/2016/06/30/briefing-06-30-16/
- The Master’s College (TMS staff): http://www.tms.edu/preachersandpreaching/imminent-attack-religious-liberty/
- The Master’s College (Nathab Busenitz): http://www.tms.edu/preachersandpreaching/christian-colleges-religious-liberty-sb-1146/
- “Tolerant” California will not tolerate Christian Colleges
- The Domain for Truth: http://veritasdomain.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/urgent-since-rights-of-christian-are-at-stake-say-no-to-sb1146/
- ReligiousLiberty.TV: http://religiousliberty.tv/california-sb-1146-punishes-colleges-that-discriminate-because-faith.html
- BreakPoint: A License to Discriminate: California’s Assault on Christian Colleges
- OCR: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/state-719782-climate-religious.html
- Mere Orthodoxy: http://mereorthodoxy.com/biola-california-non-discrimination-law-religious-liberty/