I find to this day seven abominations in my heart:
- Inclinings to unbelief.
- Suddenly to forget the love and mercy that Christ manifesteth.
- A leaning to the works of the law.
- Wanderings and coldness in prayer.
- To forget to watch for that I pray for.
- Apt to murmur because I have no more, and yet ready to abuse what I have.
- I can do none of those things which God commands me, but my corruptions will thrust in themselves, “when I would do good, evil is present with me.”
These things I continually see and feel, and am afflicted and oppressed with; yet the wisdom of God doth order them for my good.
- They make me abhor myself.
- They keep me from trusting my heart.
- They convince me of the insufficiency of all inherent righteousness.
- They show me the necessity of flying to Jesus.
- They press me to pray unto God.
- They show me the need I have to watch and be sober.
- And provoke me to look to God, through Christ, to help me, and carry me through this world. Amen.